I had been threatening to start knitting for ages and so at Christmas I received many knitting related presents, a full set of needles included. I made a few simple starter projects (mostly squares of knitting and a simple envelope sleeve for my kindle), but I thought I would show you my first official knitting project. It was a pattern by Benson’s Rags that I had also received as a Christmas present. The pattern included a stranded knitting treble clef motif, but as yet my knitting skills are not up to this so I decided to keep the gloves simple and just stick to the simple pattern completed with the beautiful West Yorkshire Yarn Spinners Aran.
The premise for making the gloves was pretty simple. They are knitted flat and then sewn together at the side seam. Starting from the wrist, which is ribbing, the number of stitches are gradually increased in a ‘V’ to make room for the thumb:
This is where what seemed to be a simple pattern broke down. I had to somehow insert a thumb into my nice flat piece of knitting. Well, it took me a few times of reading and re-reading the pattern and a little help from some of my more experienced crafty friends but we figured it out. I had to cast on three additional stitches at one edge of the thumb and then (ignoring the rest of the piece) knit just the thumb (still flat at this point). Once this was completed I could then ignore the thumb and continue knitting the rest of the glove picking up those extra 3 stitches half way across.
Once completed the thumb was stitched up down the side and the rest of the glove was also stitched together to complete it.
Then all I had to do was the same again for the other hand.
Well, as far a projects go I may not have jumped in at the deep end but it dertainly wasnt a paddling pool!
Bring on the next project!