Indie Pattern Month is over and there were so many fantastic makes! My third and final make was for the Hack It! week. This task was to take an indie pattern (or two, or three) and hack it to make it into something new! You can read about my Penny blouse below.
It’s a simple shirt dress in a 1950’s style with a flat collar and a dropped shoulder. I really love the bodice and have one planned in a black viscose. Its going to be so much fun with a semi circle skirt (perfect for swooshing!), an elasticated waist (perfect for eating all the food) and that collar (perfect for making it look extra smart!). However, when I measured up I was a definite size eight on the waist and hips but a ten on the bust. Considering the style of the top I didn’t really think it warranted a full bust adjustment as it is quite loose fitting and so began to wonder about just making up a size 10 – after all the elasticated waist should cinch it in, right? Rather than dive right in and make the dress in a size 10 I thought it might be best to toile the bodice and check I want doing something crazy by going for the bigger size. It was then I saw on the Sew Over It instagram an amazing hack for the Penny dress. They had extended the bodice slightly and added some ties to the front to make a tie-front blouse. I immediately fell in love with the idea! I could toile the bodice whilst getting a wearable piece of clothing out of it.
I printed out an assembled the pdf pattern and cut out just the pattern pieces for the bodice in a size 10. I added 4 cm to the front and back bodice pieces (as the weight of the skirt would not be holding them down). I then added a triangle extending the centre front down by 25cm and drawing a diagonal to the side seam.
I then pretty much constructed the blouse as per the instructions for the dress bodice, but before moving onto the skirt instructions I just went straight to hemming.
The dress calls for three buttons but as I didnt want a massive hole where the tie front was I added a fourth. I could have started the buttons a bit lower on the neckline and I might do this for my dress (the button placement is left entirely up to the sewer with this pattern – there is no buttonhole guide)
Pattern: Penny dress – Sew Over It
Fabric: Orange twill from the Man outside Sainsburys (Walthamstow market – London)
Alterations: Size 10 bodice with 4 cm added to the length and tie front extensions to the front bodice piece.
I really love this pattern and can’t wait to make the dress – I also love the hack and can see this becoming one of my wardrobe staples, the fabric is really soft to habdle and feels gorgeous against my skin! I dont think I would want to make this with abything with less drape as the loose fitting bodice would end up quite stiff.
I really love the drop shoulder sleeves and think the styling fits in really well with the tie-front